Everyone takes all of the necessary precautions to make sure that a cooking fire doesn’t happen in their home – but not too many people are aware of how electrical fires occur or what they can do to prevent them. These 3 tips will help you keep your home safe from an electrical fire.
Check your electrical outlets
One of the most common causes for electrical fires are worn-out or faulty outlets. You should inspect all of your outlets in your home for damage in order to help reduce the risk of electrical fires. Things to watch out for include frayed or worn cables and overloaded sockets. Lastly, make sure that there are not any exposed wires and that there is not a gap between the outlet and the wall. Exposed wiring can cause fires.
You should also check the cords that are plugged into your outlets. Are they near any heat or water? If so, move them away to avoid any damage.
Avoid hazardous electrics that can cause fires
Some electrical fires occur because there are issues with the wiring of the house or because an appliance fails. Another common fire cause is old appliances. Check all of your appliances for frayed or worn cords, and make sure you replace any with damaged cords.
Light fixtures are another common cause of electrical fires. Do not replace your lightbulbs with higher wattage, and avoid placing any material over the shade that could ignite.
Portable heaters have also been known to cause fires when they are near flammable materials. If you are using a heater, keep it away from anything flammable like fabric or paper. Also use a radiator, if possible, as they diffuse heat over the entire heating surface. This makes it less likely to overheat and ignite.
Charging appliances or batteries can also cause electrical fires. We’re talking about cords that charge your cell phones and tablets. It is recommended to only get replacement cords from the manufacturer, as that is the best way to make sure that your cord is the correct voltage. Lastly, avoid overcharging items like your cell phone – as that can also cause overheating and lead to fires.
Have your home wiring inspected
If you have an older home, it may not be a bad idea to have the wiring inspected. Your electrician should audit your home, which means they will check common hazards like your fuse box and outlets. They can also let you know if you need to make any changes, such as rearranging which appliances are on which system, and they will point out anything hazardous, such as running an electrical wire under a rug.
If you are concerned about the possibility of an electrical fire and want to keep your family safe, contact Morrill Electric. Morrill Electric can assist by providing an inspection of your home. Contact us today by filling out a contact form on our website or call us at 978-388-1522.