Faulty wiring can be dangerous to the lives of everyone in a house. It could electrocute someone or even start a fire. If you’re seeing signs of faulty wiring in your house, it’s likely because of old wiring or poor installation. You should hire a professional electrician at a moment’s notice to prevent dangerous situations as well.
Signs It’s Time to Rewire Your House
Since faulty wiring can be incredibly dangerous to everyone in your house, you need to look for certain signs. Some of the signs that you should be looking out for include:
Dimming or flickering lights are one of the first signs of poor wiring. It could be due to a faulty bulb or when the bulb isn’t connected correctly, but you should check just in case.
When the new bulb flickers or dims, you need to call an electrician immediately. This could mean the circuit is overloaded, so you need to start rewiring.
If a fuse blows frequently, the appliances are old and can’t support other electrical appliances. Changing the circuits can be easy to fix, however, if it isn’t a common occurrence, it’s a sign of an overloaded breaker.
This is an apparent cause that can’t go unnoticed. Do you smell something burning near a circuit or are you seeing tiny sparks behind it? That’s due to the wiring shorting out. If left untreated, they can cause severe damage to the house.
This was popular way back because of its cheaper cost. It contracts and expands unpredictably at high temperatures, makings it poor conductor for electricity. It deteriorates quickly and can have severe consequences. If you have this wiring, it’s time for a replacement.
Discolored switchplates usually indicate that the plastic and wiring are overheating. To prevent damage, you should immediately contact an electrician.
Overloaded Extension Cords
When there isn’t enough power to distribute among different appliances, and you revert to using extension cords, it causes an electric imbalance that impacts a circuit. This can cause short circuiting, overloading, or overheating, etc.
If you find yourself using extension cords more often than those regular circuit boards, you can take this as a sign that your house needs to rewire.
When a circuit overloads, it will likely trip to prevent overheating. This can occur for several reasons, from a faulty appliance to significant problems that require rewiring.
Suppose you plug in an appliance; you can feel a minor or major electric jolt. This is the most dangerous sign since it means there’s a problem with the ground connections. No matter how minor, electric shocks can cause serious harm.
Contact Morrill Electric in Amesbury
If you’re facing any of these problems, immediately contact a professional electrician. For the best and most reliable electricians, contact Morrill Electric. We make sure your house is rewired effectively. 978-388-1522