Just as you would upgrade your household appliances or purchase a new car if your existing one is too costly to repair, so too should you look to upgrade your home electrical system. Many homes in the North Shore were built in the mid to late 1800’s that have seen some occasional electrical updates. Unfortunately, many homes still haven’t opted for a complete rewiring and upgrade. At Morrill Electric, we highly recommend upgrading your home electrical system in order to improve safety and reduce energy costs as well as improve functionality within your home.
If you’re on the fence regarding whether or not to upgrade your electrical system and wiring, here are a few signs that you should look for that indicate it’s time to make the upgrade sooner rather than later.
Warning Signs It’s Time To Upgrade Your Electric System
- Cracked, cut or broken insulation. This is a fire and safety hazard that needs to be addressed as quickly as possible. Inefficient or old insulation that doesn’t sufficiently cover your electrical wiring could cause a fire in the future and should be replaced by a licensed electrician.
- Loose outlets or plugs that continually fall out of the outlets. This isn’t just an annoying feature about your outlets or plugs, this is a cause of warping outlets over time. Replacing your home’s outlets will prevent your appliances from continually falling out or turning off.
- Buzzing or sizzling sounds coming from your outlets is never a good sign. These sounds, coupled with a burning smell, are a good indication that your entire system is on the fritz and needs to be replaced as soon as possible. Morrill Electric is here to provide a thorough electrical inspection and free estimate for homeowners.
- Frequently blown fuses or tripped breakers don’t normally happen in more modern homes with updated electrical systems. It’s time to put this annoying feature of your home to rest. Our electricians will replace your fuses and breakers and entire electrical panel. We ensure that your electrical panel isn’t over-amped or over-fused so that your home’s system is efficient and working properly.
- Do you get shocked every time you plug in or unplug a cord? Do you see sparks from an outlet while plugging or unplugging a cord? Perhaps you’ve noticed your lightbulbs need to be replaced more frequently. Any of these cases are signs that it’s time for an electrical upgrade.
At Morrill Electric, we recommend that homes over 40+ years old should have their electrical system updated to keep up with newer technology and safety and efficiency features. Homeowners who have also made home renovations or additions to their home should also take this opportunity to upgrade their system so that the newer rooms function congruently with the rest of the house.
If you’re ready to upgrade your electrical system, contact our residential electrical company today for a free estimate.