Experiencing a power outage is a stressful experience – even more so if you own a business. If there’s a complete loss of power, you’ll likely have to shut down the shop; no power means no cash registers, no lights, and perhaps a broken alarm system. To keep safety and profits at the top of their game, you should consider investing in a commercial generator so you can keep your business open. After all, power outages can occur almost any time, thanks to severe weather, natural disasters, accidents, grid failures, or transformer problems. Plus, depending on the cause and severity of the issue, it could take days or weeks to clear up. A commercial generator will help make sure your business doesn’t take a hit from a power outage. Here’s what you need to know.
Do You Need a Generator?
A backup generator is an invaluable tool for homes and businesses, but are you sure you really need one?
Well, the truth is you probably do. Even if your business doesn’t rely on refrigeration or lots of artificial light, you’ll still need electricity to power your computer and cash register systems. Plus, you’ll most likely need to keep your air conditioning or heating going so your employees and customers are healthy and safe.
So while you may think you can get away without a generator, it’s always best to have one…just in case.
How is a Commercial Generator Installed?
A commercial generator should always be done by a professional to ensure that safety guidelines are followed. Before the actual installation, there are a few tasks to be completed:
- Calculate the power you need for your building.
- Have a certified electrician verify your needs and identify any potential problems.
- Calculate the size of your space, the generator’s location, what type of fuel you need, and the AMPS needed.
- Choose your generator carefully. Make sure to select one that fits your needs and requirements.
- Get a concrete pad. Your generator will sit on this, so make sure the pad’s size, shape, and weight capacity are suitable for your chosen generator.
- Make sure to stick to local regulations and have all the permits required. A professional installer will help you with this.
Once your commercial generator is installed, don’t forget that you need to keep up with regular maintenance. With regular inspections, testing, and servicing, a high-quality commercial generator should last for several years.
Generator Installation in Amesbury, MA
If your business could benefit from having a commercial generator installed, get in touch with the experts at Morrill Electric. Following the steps above, we’ll help you get the right generator for your needs installed correctly, so you have power when you need it. Give us a call today at 978-388-1522 or fill out a contact form and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.